Social media, today, is synonymous with visual content and storytelling. And Instagram is its biggest platform. It has various intriguing features. Among them is the ability to share posts from one’s feed to stories. One can share your own and others’ posts to your stories. However, some users face issues with the ‘Add posts to the story’ option. It might be malfunctioning due to:
1. Type of Account
The ‘Add post to story’ option is available only for public accounts. If you share a post from a private account, it will not give the sharing menu in the post. You can check if your account is private or public by opening the IG website in the incognito window. Then, look for the same account. If their posts are visible, the account is public. If the profile is private, the posts are hidden. Although it doesn’t matter if your account is private or public.
2. Sharing Permission
If your account is public, something else might be responsible for the missing ‘Add post to story’ option. It is “permission to share.” The other person must have disabled the option to let people reshare their posts to stories. In that case, that option would be unavailable. Although, again, it doesn’t matter if you have enabled this option for your own personal account or not.
If you do not want others to share your stories, you can :
1. Go to your profile screen and select the three-bar icon at the top corner.
2. Select Settings. “Go on Privacy”
3. Switch off the “Allow resharing to stories”
3. The app itself
Maybe, the feature is missing from your profile. These features are usually given out in phases. Not everyone has access to the features together. Even when they do, the features might miss haphazardly.
- FIXING THE CANNOT SHARE INSTAGRAM POSTS TO STORIES ISSUE
- Uninstalling the App
Try to uninstall the Instagram app. This does not affect your posts, stories, or followers.
On Androids: Open Play Store, and search for Instagram. Select “Uninstall”.
On iPhones: Long press the IG app icon till it starts shaking. Then, select the cross icon to uninstall.
- CLEAR the CACHE memory (Only for androids )
For Androids, clear the cache for the app. Again, it does not affect posts, stories, or followers.
To clear your cache, go through the following steps:
1. Go to Apps & notifications on your phone from settings.
2. Under “All apps”, select IG.
3. Go to Storage. Select “Clear cache”.
- Try checking from a DIFFERENT PHONE
Although it sounds strange, it can work more often than not. When you want to share any post to your story, try logging in from a separate phone. Sometimes when you do that, you can get the “Add post to the story” option on their own personal account.
- Trying from A NEW ACCOUNT
If you have newly joined IG and have a few numbers on their follower’s list, try to create another account. For some reason, most new accounts are coming with this feature. But if you have a sizable amount of followers, this option is pretty unfeasible. It can be very taxing to gain back your get instagram followers.
In such a scenario, the only thing one can do is wait. On a side note, take a screenshot of your required post and put it to your story. Tag the person on it as well.
- Updating the IG app
If your IG app is outdated, or of a version below 7.13, you will have to update it to get the recent additions to its features.
- On an Android device, you can update it by:
- Go to Google Play Store
- Select “menu”, and then go on to selecting “My apps & games”
- Search for Instagram. Apps that are on their outdated version will give an update button.
- Select “Update” to update IG to its latest version.
- On an iPhone, you can update Instagram by :
- Go to the App Store.
- Select the Profile icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom to find IG.
- Select “Update” to update IG to its latest version.
Usually, updating apps helps resolves various issues. The same goes for Instagram. This becomes all the more apparent if the update’s description says “Fixes bugs and improves performance ”.
6. Asking the person to enable resharing of stories
If you are failing to add someone else’s post to mention in your story, it might be because they have disabled the resharing option on their own account. For you to share someone else’s post to your own story, ask them to switch on the “resharing option”.
You can switch on the resharing option to stories, you can :
- Go to your IG profile and select the menu icon at the top-right corner of the phone and select “ settings”.
- Select “Privacy”, then go to “Story”.
- Scroll down to the bottom, you will see “Sharing”. Turn on the “Allow resharing to stories”.
Once you’re successful in being able to share the Xyz post to your own story, you can even ask the other person to switch off the “resharing” again.
7. Report the issue to IG
Many users have gotten their app fixed, simply by reporting it to Instagram. To do that:
- Take a screenshot of your share screen then go to your profile on Instagram.
- Tap on “settings”. Then go to “help”.
- Add the ss by selecting the “+” icon and write your complaint along with it.
- How To Make Your Instagram Account/Profile Private?
- How To Enable Instagram Dark Mode?
- How To Disable Whatsapp Notifications Message Previews?
Even after trying out all of this, still your “add this to your story” option does not appear, even if your app is updated to its latest version, then there might be a glitch. The one that persists from IG’s end—not ours. So you can report by following the steps mentioned above and get it fixed or you can simply wait it out.